Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crazy Cactus

In the art classes I co-teach, the project for our kindergartners is "Crazy Cactuses".
We're teaching the kids about line, pattern and color. To make it fun my boss decided to have them apply these elements to cactuses. Of course the students are having a marvelous time exaggerating this botanical specimen to the limits. Some of them are hardly recognizable, but all the better for the bursts of color and random pattern!
I was so inspired by my students that I couldn't help but try my hand at the project!
Here is my "Crazy Cactus"!


My cactus before the water is added
The first step is to draw the body and branches outline with black sharpie. Then, add loads of pattern with colored sharpies. Next, color over the patterns with watercolor pencils. Later, add water with a paintbrush and presto! A Crazy Cactus to grace your fridge or mantel!



After the watercolor pencils have been activated

Next week the students (and I) will add the stickers/pokers with cutout colored construction paper. Like a few of my students, I added wolfish grin. After all, cactuses aren't exactly cuddly are they?

Stay Artsy,
~Sarah Bosserman

No comments: