Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Thursday, January 21, 2016

another sketch attempt

Sketching an elevation view (ala Stephanie Bower) using info from her Craftsy perspective drawing video course (on sale right now). I added color with my inktense pencils & a water brush.

Here's the source photo I took on a neighborhood street


Wish I'd have thought to take a photo before color - it sure helped a lot, especially since I think much of the interest in this photo derives from the red door.  About to attempt 1 point perspective......


4 comments:

Laura Gable said...

very nice Terrie. I love doorways. Yours has a lot of movement and complexity. You've intrigued me enough, I'd love to see this door in person. Do you paint with a local group of Urban Sketchers?

Bobi Wilson said...

This is great, Terrie. You're inspiring me to try once again.

Terrie said...

Laura - not yet, but I've found the group. It's a bit intimidating (a LOT bit intimidating) when I'm so new and from what I've seen of urban sketchers work, they're pretty accomplished. I think I need to get outside and try it not from a photo a couple times before joining in. But, I will.....

Jim Bumgarner said...

Hi Terrie, our urbansketchers group is for anyone who has something to draw with and something to draw on, and is over 18. We are a very welcoming group who believes the sketching is fun, but the socialization is also. We meet every Wednesday morning from 10 to noon (usually), and we have been doing this since 20011. Find us on FB at this address: https://www.facebook.com/groups/USKTriCities/ or on our blog, here: 509urbansketchers.blogspot.com
And please join us sometime soon.

Jim Bumgarner, founder