Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Evil Background Lurks...Bwa ha ha

Or is that "Evil Lurks in the Background"? Geez. Sometimes backgrounds are such a pain. Hope I can salvage the grapes painting. Just got a notice from Daniel Smith advertising their new product "Watercolor Ground". It looks like a thin white slurry - maybe has paper or cotton pulp in it? You can slap it on just about anything, (even miserable backgrounds) let it dry, and paint over it with watercolor. Just cover up the mistakes and paint over them! Wow! Is this how oil and acrylic artists feel? Free as a bird? Maybe I should make an order...

5 comments:

Sarahbosserman@gmail.com said...

That is how we feel! It's very silly but whenever a watercolor artist used to complain about how hard it was to use their medium I hadn't a clue about what they were talking about. Duh! Of course it can be hard, not being able to cover your mistakes?? I'm such a dork sometimes! I hope your painting turns out, and you've enlightened an acrylic painter :)

Laura Gable said...

I think you're on to something there Lisa. Sounds a bit lumpy tho if there is paper pulp in it (??) How curious!
One time when I was younger, I really slaughtered an area around a really sweet spot in a painting, so I cut out a piece of paper exactly the same size and glued it down over the mistake. Except for the edges of the paper which were quite visible, it made for an interesting "fix".... until years later when the glue dried up and it fell off. I don't really recommend this approach. haha.

Bobi Wilson said...

Whew, I was so confused by the title - it SO didn't sound like you - not a bwa ha ha bone in your body! Now I get iy. :) The product sounds hopeful. That watercolorists might have something of an "undo" button would be sweet.
Doctors bury their mistakes, chefs eat their mistakes, metalsmiths... melt or scrap them. Watercolorists turn them into collage? :)

Terrie said...

Or stack them up hoping to salvage them some day in the future. I thought the grapes painting was looking fab so can't imagine the background being so awful.
Part of the joy/pain of watercolor is its unpredictability but I've certainly ruined my fair share of pieces when that unpredictability got out of control.....

Jan Watson said...

I just saw that on my facebook from Daniel Smith. Sounds like an interesting fix. let me know how it works. like Laura I was also wondering about the texture left on the paper. How do you make it an invisible fix? Very interested to hear how it works.