Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Friday, January 31, 2014

January 31, it's a wrap

The past couple days of January were spent doing a field study and then some studio work to complete. The few days of sunlight got me wanting to wander out and paint. Though a bit breezy, I did paint briefly in the truck -- a bit cramped and messy! It was fun to study the scene though and just get down a few preliminary strokes before heading to the studio.

There's a lovely sheltered path that passes under a high embankment of trees along the Columbia River off Columbia River Park Trail. Perhaps you will recognize it. The river laps the shoreline, nourishing the abundant eco-system there. I was thrilled to see a figure in bright yellow walk into the scene, and got a shot of him before he disappeared into the shadows. (Follow the progression of the painting below, final is shown last) 
Field Study - "River's Pause", 8x10 oil on board, ©Laura Gable
I got down just enough color to suggest the scene. I enjoy the freshness of this piece.
FINAL: "River's Pause", 8x10 oil on board, ©Laura Gable
(The scene was refined a bit, small strokes added, focal point adjusted, colors and value adjusted.)
Here's the best awareness for the month -- the most rewarding part of art for me is the disappearing into the process of creating ... Moving into that space where time seems to be suspended. May you find magic in these moments like I have.

Thanks for journeying with me. I enjoy the creative interaction, seeing what others are up to in their processes, and value the comments we've shared. Thanks so much Bobi for making this available to us again, and for guiding our steps. You are a jewel.

Visit me on my personal blog if you want, I'll post there throughout the year. http://lauragable.blogspot.com

No comments: