Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Friday, January 6, 2012

"EDM #6: Draw Your Favorite Well-Loved Object, or a Childhood Toy"

This isn't actually my old baseball mitt.  Mine disappeared about as long ago as the moon landing: maybe even before that.

The one you see here is one of the three I purchased at a yard-sale so when my grandsons come to visit we can go outside and play catch.  Those boys are growing up fast, the youngest is 7 and the oldest will be 11 on Valentine's Day.

My old mitt was something I dearly loved.  It was a three-fingered affair, and with my little and ring finger snuggled into the third finger of the mitt, it was a perfect fit.  If I close my eyes I can still feel how it hung on my hand, almost falling off, but still secure; and how a ball blazing off the smack of a bat and into the meshing brought no pain. Odd isn't it, how one can gain life-long attachment to an old piece of leather, and a dog?  But that's another story - the dog.

I loved baseball; and I guess I was pretty good at it until I decided in high school to run hurdles instead: big mistake.

1 comment:

Cheryl Goyer said...

Very nice drawing especially with the diamond and backfield fence. My oldest son played from T-ball to American Legion Ball. He was right handed but always batted left. While I can get nostalgic about it now I remember I was always bored at the games but went to every one.