Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Monday, January 23, 2012

my newest challenge

I've been busily working on a new project - ALAW (a letter a week).  This project is a year long project at the end of which I'll have created two alphabets.  The "rules" are simple:  any medium, any style, size must be 7cm (3") square and after the letters have been created, they should be presentation ready in some form - a book, framed, hanging by wire, etc.  One of the two alphabets must follow the theme "dotty".  My subconscious has been working overtime to come up with how I wanted to create them, what style/shape of letters and ultimately how to present it....  Here's my first 4 letters for each week in January.




Obviously, I've decided to do my 'dotty' alpha first.  I created dots of spattered watercolor as the background and the colors will progress through the color wheel three times.  The tiles will also be connected with the ribbon of circles on black (more dots) and then filled in with zentangle patterns.  I figured this way I'm practicing my lettering as well as my tangles!


If you're interested in finding out more about this challenge/project, read it here.

4 comments:

Cheryl Goyer said...

Wonderful letters Terrie. I love how the ribbon travels through each section connecting them. Good luck with the project.

Shelley said...

Love doodling and on your recommendation I bought the 52 creative exercises and the first zentangle book as my job leaves less time, yet more desire, to produce art every day.

I think I'm finding a balance...and the more structured doodling is keeping me both focused and sane during even the longest meeting :)

But thanks for your inspiration. You and the others have kept me coming back, and kept me recognising so many different forms of art - even if sadly it's not been every day as i had hoped. I just personally love the psychological calm induced by a free hand, pen and ink, and no boundaries or restraints on what is 'art'. Blogs like this and books like 52, and Everyday Matters have made me realise that.

Greg Ashby said...

looks like a great way to spend time. I bet time flies by in this style without noticing

Dan Kent said...

Beautiful, fun and very creative!