Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Some Urban Sketching in Spokane"

While in Spokane yesterday, I had a really brief window to do a bit of sketching of downtown Spokane.  The one on top I did while sitting on a concrete flower box, freezing my tush.  I think it would have been a good idea to stay with the Pigma Microns for the trees, but hey, what the heck, right?  It wasn't difficult to splash paint on this one because it's a very rough sketch, still I worried about ruining it.  Ha..
   


This one was done from inside the food mart at the River Park Square Mall, looking down on Main and Post Streets.  The sun was shining so the shadows could have played a part in all this, but I decided to take the sky and blast it with some dark paint.  It isn't easy just flopping paint after spending what feels like a considerable amount of time getting the drawing down, so it's a real adventure when you do splash the paint like this.    

6 comments:

Sarah Bosserman said...

These are absolutely wonderful Jim! I love the color, and the free feeling sketch style!

Laura Gable said...

I love the corner viewpoint, and after watching "Midnight in Paris" tonight, it has that European flair and feels a bit like the magical wee hours of the evening time.

Terrie said...

I agree with the ladies. Your sketching ability amazes me and the second one with 'splashed' paint is just fabulous. Spokane never looked so good.

Jim Bumgarner said...

thank you ladies, and to think I almost didn't bother to post these.

Jan Watson said...

These are really great. A little different from the usuals JB. Like, Like, Like! Color splash effect very nice!

cameron said...

Groovy Jim, you are on to something here. I would really like to see some of these a few feet wide! Keep it up.