Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

"Everyday Matters Challenges: #1"

A few years ago I came across a book written by Danny Gregory entitled, "Everyday Matters."  It was from this book, filled with sketches and commentary, I began to understand the power of the simple sketch, and started shifting my aristic pursuits in that direction.  

Some snooping around the internet led me to a yahoo group, "Everyday Matters," initiated by Danny and a couple of his friends. In no time a list of things to sketch was developed.  People began sketching those things and posting them on the yahoo group.  The list grew, and more people joined the group.

Today there are over 320 items listed and the group is still a place where sketchers can discuss Danny's vision, discuss their own visions and post their sketches.  In the beginning, people posted the items listed ina fairly sequential manner, but long ago, the emphasis moved more toward people posting whatever they wanted to post.  It is still mostly sketches, and sometimes it's a sketch of something off the list, but mostly it's just "show and tell," and a lot of fun for those involved.

But like all good things, nothing stays the same and now there's a spin-off:  a Facebook page.  It works well and the number of people involved there continues to expand as well.     

My plan this January is to begin anew with the Everyday Matters list - beginning with #1: "draw a shoe."  Each day this January I plan to post a new sketch from this list here in Art-A-Day. 

I might post some other stuff too, because it's just too much fun doing and sharing. 

Here's the first:


4 comments:

Bobi Wilson said...

Cool idea, Jim. I might even dip a toe over there since I would like to draw but am intimidated by it. Thanks!

Terrie said...

What a great idea and it fits perfectly with one of my goals - to improve my non-existent drawing skills by practicing 15 minutes/day. I'm headed over to check it out right now!

Terrie said...

I thought the name sounded familiar - there's also a flickr group for sharing sketches and the themes....also titled Everyday Matters

Jim Bumgarner said...

Hi Terrie, yes those are mentioned in my commentary above and if you hover your mouse there, there are links. Hard to see without the hovering...