Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

sketching continued

I was feeling a little daunted by my sketching efforts following Everyday Matters prompts and though I will continue to work through them, I got sidetracked by a new book that arrived for me today.  It's 52 Drawing Labs by Carla Sonheim and gives a series of drawing exercises that are designed to loosen up, inspire, or help you become more comfortable with pen and paper.



I tried the no peeking, draw one line without lifting from paper technique to start with.  This was quick and fun and definitely loose and much less intimidating than actually trying to draw an actual car or cat.

Then a couple days ago I started a mixed media practice piece(s) based on free video class offered by Traci Bautista for Strathmore.  Her philosophy is that it's all about making marks and continuing to build layers of patterns and marks using a variety of media.  Early stages:


Some spritzing over a hand made stencil, acrylic paint, oil pastels, markers, etc.  Oh yeah, and the red is from a $1 store bingo marker! :)  One is on a canvas and the other two on watercolor paper.

2 comments:

Cheryl Goyer said...

I love Carla's book and have taken a couple of online classes from her. Very freeing exercises. Love your one liners.

Jim Bumgarner said...

Love those sketches uptop. Keep'em coming, Terrie.