Sub Header

9th Annual Art-a-Day Challenge, January 2018!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Hikes and a sketch

This last weekend saw very mild temps in my area so my husband and I took the opportunity to do some hiking and sight seeing. We visited the Raleigh Arboretum and I was amazed at the number of plants in bloom. Certainly different from Southern Oregon where I just moved from.

Raleigh Arboretum Raleigh Arboretum Camellia
Arboretum Camellia Raleigh Arboretum
On New Year's Day we hiked at William B. Umstead State Park. It was an especially warm morning. This area is full of quartz which holds a great fascination for me. Must be its sparkly nature.

Umstead State Park grave marker quartz at Umstead State Park
Yesterday I made a small sketch of some of my findings.
Walk At Umstead State Park

2 comments:

Jim Bumgarner said...

Nice sketch of the sycamore seed pod and the pine needles. No, this doesn't look much like eastern Washington this time of year either. I had no idea N. Carolina (?) looked liked summer in December either.

Bobi Wilson said...

oh my, what a lovely rush of spring time! amazing how quickly winter removes memory of such color.